1. I don't see a shipping option as I complete my payment, can the items be shipped to me?
- Some vendors on Ottawa Artisans offer shipping directly at cart so you will see it under ''Vendor shipping''. Others do but need to calculate a flat-rate so don't hesitate to contact a maker to find out the shipping rate to your location.
2. Why buy with us?
- By purchasing products from Ottawa Artisans makers, you are directly encouraging people in your community to pursue their craft and passions! Not only are you getting a unique high-quality handmade item but you are promoting the local economy. We know that we cannot completely forgo big-buck stores for necessities but certain purchases deserve the love and thought that is put in each product sold on our platform.
3. Where are the vendors from?
- The large majority of our vendors are from the Ottawa Valley, however, we do have a few who reside further in Ontario or Quebec. We have decided to allow those vendors to participate in the platform under these conditions: 1. They reside in an area where they do not have access to a large market. 2. They can offer drop-off in Ottawa or affordable shipping. 3. They do not directly compete with an Ottawa-area vendor by offering the same product. Each vendor has their location listed in their profile so make sure to check it out if you would rather pick-up your product locally.
4. What is Ottawa Artisans' policy regarding cultural/religion/sexual-orientation-related items for sale on the website?
- Ottawa Artisans does not require our vendors to disclose their heritage, cultural background, religion or sexual orientation to sell their products on the site. If you would like more information on a vendor's background before purchasing a product, we welcome you to contact them through the contact button on their page and they will be able to respond to your questions as needed. If you would like to report a product on Ottawa Artisans, please do so at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will review the product promptly and will remove it if we find that it goes against our terms and conditions.
1. How does it work to sell items on the platform?
- The per sale commission fee is 15% + HST (of that 15%, not on your sales). Once you sign up, you will select a membership level based on the number of products you wish to list.All paid membership give you access for free to participate in our virtual markets, priority consideration for events and more.
2. Why don't I just go on Etsy or a similar platform, the commission is much smaller!
- Other market places put you in direct competition with sellers from all over the world and only really high volume players get to the first few pages of the search engine. Ottawa Artisans put you in direct contact with buyers from Ottawa and the surroundings who are interested in supporting local makers.
3. Can I ship my items to the buyers?
- Vendors can add flat-rate shipping to their cart or organize local pick-up. Please make sure to write a clear pick-up/shipping policy on your profile to inform buyers or your preferred delivery method.
Do you have another question you would like answered on this page? Send it to email@example.com.